Monday, August 24, 2009

Another ride, another lesson...



Saturday ~


Saturday did not start well. I got up, a bit late but not too late. Hopped on the computer with my coffee to check a favorite blog only to find ALL my files gone. All. None too pleased at the discovery I messed with it longer than anticipated with no real resolution. I got ready to head to the barn, fuming.

Driving there I have often seen this pair of Gray Toulouse geese. They stand in a bad place, always together. It's in a curvy part of the road, with no shoulder near a culvert that runs under the lowest point of the road. I always worry when I see them just standing there. I always hope they both head to a safer place each time I see them. Saturday, there, in the road one lay. That did not contribute to me feeling any better about the morning. I was hoping I didn't get to the barn to find a disaster there as well.


Gator was well. I tacked him up and off we went. I had switched to my new stirrup leathers. LONG long time over due. HUGE difference.


He was very forward. Walking wasn't something he was interested in. This awarded plenty of opportunity to work on maintaining proper position at the trot and making him listen. I had even thought, after two laps (~1 mile each?) of going into the ring. I hopped off to get the gate (his propensity for NOT wanting to stand still needs to be mastered before I can open and close gates off of him) and he was DRENCHED. I was too I realized. It was crazy humid after all so I hand walked him out and hosed him. He, for once, seemed to really enjoy the hosing.



Gator had already made my day 180 degrees better but hubby also called to say he restored my computer. Even better still.





Sunday ~


Up early. To the barn by 7am. I let him graze a few minutes, my instructor had texted she was 15 minutes behind. Then I tacked him up in the outside cross ties - we had never used them before. They're smack in the middle of the 'good' grass. He was pissed but only pawed a occasionally in protest at the injustice.


My position was MUCH better for this lesson. He was listening pretty well even during our warm up - though he still takes a decent warm up. We then did large figure eights - extending trot through the middle, collected on the ends. I was getting some pretty good extension out of him. We then cantered both directions. Occasionally I got the extreme extension which I maintained sitting - I heard my instructor mumble something about dressage again. Had to kick him pretty good at least once, he kicked back and then departed. Monkey. She was more pleased with my position. Apparently I am rolling my shoulders - not collapsing or roaching my back but rolling my shoulders forward, pushing out my elbows, lifting my hands. Okay, I can fix that. Relaaaaxxx.



We worked on the three loop serpentine again. Nice working trot, walking in the middles where we would do a canter transition, then back to trotting. Then, she asked if I felt ready to try it at the canter.



Sure! Why not? She was impressed with our first go had gone as well as it had. She pointed out the issues to improve upon. Our last was actually pretty good. I actually impressed myself with that one. We ended on a really good note. :) I might actually be able to do a flying change after all. That will be spiffy.


I have some stuff to work on and am excited to ride this week. I tend to work best with a goal or at least a 'To Do' list. The weather is supposed to be nice so here's hoping.

I'm also excited to find out that I'll be able to attend some dressage clinics as a spectator in September. I will REALLY enjoy that. I need to read up though... there's a lot to learn. :)

I'm also hoping to win the lottery and I will buy THIS. A girl can dream right? That would be my heaven me thinks...

2 comments:

  1. sounds like things are going great . Love the dream property!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm late!

    Nice job, AB:)

    I can't look at the dream property....
    I'll take your word for it.

    To Do with shoulders?
    Work on that posture you want in the saddle, on the ground.
    No slouching. None, easier to nit-pick yourself on the ground, so that it hopefully becomes your natural posture in the tack.

    Perfect practice, and all that:)

    Scritches to that Handsome Gator!

    He can't eat when you groom him??
    How crewel;)

    ReplyDelete