Thursday, October 8, 2009

Horse Song

(photo by Jamie Williams)



Ha... it seems singing is so common with equestrians or humming to calm yourself and your horse. I thought I'd discovered something unique to me when I started doing it... how he visibly relaxed and so did I. :) Then the more blogs I read the more I found out it's so common - especially those that ride alone. I think the wonderful Sally Swift even suggests it, says you have to breath if you're talking or singing to your horse... but don't quote me on that. I don't have the book with me. However, I did most definitely used to hold my breath.

I remember the first time, on a day I was especially nervous I sang ... he'd apparently not had someone sing from his back. His head came up, his ears went CRAZY... 'What, mom?' Not sure if it was cue he didn't know or what. And then he just settled after a bit. Now he cocks one ear back and relaxes.

I usually sing 'Rodeo Road'. Holly Williams sings it and it was on the Flicka soundtrack. Yes, I liked a song out of Flicka (the movie makes me mad though...) embarrassing, but I like the song. Sort of depressing song but very calming... at least to me.


'When I reach the end of Rodeo Road
Don't shed no tears for me
When I reach the end of Rodeo Road
Set my pony free.

From a stick horse
To a quarter horse
The saddle has been my home
I've always walked in leather boots
I've always rode alone.

When i reach the end of Rodeo Road
Don't shed no tears for me
When I reach the end of Rodeo Road
Set my pony free...'


To be honest, reading the lyrics they are depressing. I can be that way though so it sort of fits. I'm a pretty solitary person too. Also before I even rode, I always saw myself doing it. When I started riding I really did feel at home there. Some people retreat to others, I retreat within - you can do that with horses. They don't pester you. So... yeah, that's where I go now.

I sing a few other things too but mostly that song when I'm really nervous and nothing else comes to mind. I think he likes the 'free pony' part and maybe hearing I feel at home there, with him. He also, I assume prefers if I sing 'Arab horse' instead of 'Quarter horse'. Understandable really.

Anyways... in addition here's a cool website to check out. I love it. The pics and stories are amazing. I bet if you haven't seen it, most of you guys will love it too. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I am sure Gator loves to hear you sing ,esp as smart as he is ,he knows it relaxes you and him . Can we have more pics of you and Gator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a great song AB. Good that something worthwhile happened with that STUPID movie!
    off to check out the web-site..

    (aaaatchoo)
    sorry:(
    I did too cover my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fern - Yes! I promise :) I have to remember to TAKE my camera and then someone has to be around that I don't feel stupid asking. :)

    I want more pictures because I realized the ones about saddle fit... THE only pics I have of my ON him. How awful is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts, Ab but who is Sally Swift? A Blogger?

    ReplyDelete