Thursday, July 16, 2009

Goooz fraaaabaaaa

What worries you when you ride or about your horses?

Want to know what worries me? Silly things, I know, but they are real worries that creep in for me. Totally unnecessary, unfounded worries. I'll tell you of my progression mentally and physically...

On the way to the barn I start to think of what we'll do - ring work or trail. I get a knot, either way. A butterfly flutter, blech, tummy knot. Why? I'm heading to the barn to see my lovely after all, who, I am very happy to go see. If I remind myself of THAT I'm fine, for a fleeting second.

Worry #1: I'm terrified for people to watch/see me ride. Seriously. They can SEE me if we're in the ring. I worry I look like a moron bouncing around up there, that I'll reflect poorly on my trainer, my horse and look like a plain ol' fool who should stop disgracing horse kind by trying to ride them.
Worry #2: I worry very much about hurting my horse. I often think that is my greatest fear. Pulling a tendon sending him into bad terrain, back soreness, exacerbate something I missed before riding him... I could put together a long list but you get the idea. It would break my heart to know I CAUSED him pain, even if unintentionally.

Now, WHY do I? Why in the hell would someone worry about that stuff so? At least so often without good reason that someone actually had said something or I actually HAD caused my horse injury.

Worry #1 Roots: I realized after moving to my new barn I have never ridden in front of anyone other than one or two people at a time - usually just the instructor or a barn owner/worker who wasn't paying attention. Starting so late in the horse world which is notoriously catty and often not known for 'acceptance' didn't help because I fully understood some people are standing back making judgement. Also never taking a group lesson, ever, didn't help either. I always rode at smaller barns so it wasn't even another option but private lessons. I also have ALWAYS been cripplingly self conscious on many levels. I played softball very seriously for all my teen years. I wasn't a bad pitcher but I hated it because ALL EYES WERE ON ME. The whole time. I liked catching, my back was to all those eyes and I was just, if not more, involved in controlling the game. I was good though so I KNEW and worked to make sure people didn't have anything bad to say. Appearance-wise and about anything else, one sharp word would turn me to mush inside. I dunno. I realize I shouldn't care what anyone thinks and am working on trying to relax with more people (who aren't even paying attention) being around. Gator, thank heavens, hasn't *completely* picked up on this... other than I'm distracted so he at most is distracted until I forget they're there and focus. What a stupid fear.

Worry #2 Roots: I started in horses mostly, in veterinary medicine and as a young adult. Not only veterinary medicine but a veterinary hospital. I saw and helped treat catastrophic injuries. Daily. That is what I knew. Going out to ambulatory veterinary medicine I realized how rare what I saw was to the regular horse owner. I mean, how many people have seen a horse with literally no hooves? I could tell an owner they're being ridiculous or worrying too much over such things but now, NOW I'm being the ridiculous owner.

Horses can hurt themselves napping (I've seen it), so worrying about injuries as I do is a crazy waste of energy. For instance, I'm trying to lose weight so I'm easier on his back and joints - he's no spring chicken. However, if I'm objective, I am no where NEAR big enough to hurt him. It's silly since I'm doing EVERYTHING I can to avoid preventable injuries, well, short of bubble wrap. I did also worry before because he wasn't 'mine' I was leasing him so there was a guilt factor if I allowed/caused him to injure himself. Now that he's mine, that guilt is at least gone.

With time both of these fears are subsiding, slowly... with light bulb moments and breakthroughs tossed in. Though the first fear, this is truly the first time I've had to face it. Heaven help me if I ever decide to show. I will surely puke. I think time in the saddle with people around will help tremendously.

The other, well, I've realized that cantering him or trotting him outside the arena won't cause his legs to shatter like glass, he's not going to LET me over exert him and the better my position gets the less likely I'll hurt his back. I work hard to improve my riding mostly for his sake. I am realizing he, like most horses, is much tougher than I give him credit for. I still do go over him with a fine tooth come before and after every ride; if nothing else he appreciates the attention and effort. I also think since I waited so long for him, I'm terribly afraid I'll do something stupid to mess it up, like hurt him.

These thoughts roll back in like the tide occasionally, overwhelming me. I just hope that I don't let them hold me back and build up walls not allowing me to do what I want with him. That of course is why some owners never get ON their horses... fears like these, walls built in the mind, most often due to things that most likely will never happen. I try to just breathe and be with him... and it usually works once I'm in the saddle and he demands my attention, in the best of ways.

So, what worries you? What unfounded fears do you cling to despite your attempts to squash them? How do you deal with them? Or am I the only one? Is there hope for my worry weary horse heart?

6 comments:

  1. My best rides were always when I was "alone" in my head, with my horse. No distractions, no other people, no nothing. Even in the busiest moments. Just me and the horse.
    It's kinda zen, and it's hard to achieve every time. It'll happen, more and more, as you relax and enjoy your gorgeous Gator. He's so happy!

    You're smart to name it and list it. Tamp it down. It's common sense really, to worry about stuff. But it shouldn't rule the ride, or the enjoyment of your time together.

    I know what you mean. Too much vet knowledge is not necessarily always a good thing;)

    Scritches to gator withers, and scriggle his nose if he wigglez it.
    Stretch up tall and proud on that boy!
    I think he's proud of you, too.
    Me TOO!

    first, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about all of it. Since I am usually alone, there is no one to double check for errors or correctness of anything I do. It takes forever for me to relax so the first part of my ride is usually not enjoyable. If I had one handy, I think I would board for a few months just to regain the proper "feel" of everything horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GL - I told my instructor, last she was out, sometimes I wish she could hide behind the barn and watch us, without me knowing she'd snuck up. She laughed and asked why it's just her. I said, with anyone watching, I over think and stop feeling, even you. When it's just us I relax and we just meld. I know I still screw up and I NEED to someone telling me what I'm doing wrong but I'm glad everytime I get on him I don't have someone really paying attention...

    The hurting him thing... sheesh. I just love him so much the thought of him BEING one of those horses I used to treat - deciding to put him through it or not... oh my I could cry about it just thinking of it. I am glad I think that I fully understand what a horse goes through in those situations... I have set my line in the sand for certain things. Now, the thought of ever holding myself to that line is scary...

    He is proud. We had a good ride yesterday... I wanted to write about that too. I'll save it for another day.

    ncc - I feel on my own now, despite all the people being around. I feel like they're watching but not in a helpful way - even if they're not. I'm lucky as hell I got that 'feel' at Mary's - it was safe and completely non-judgemental. I needed that. Bad. I think I was just barely ready for this step 'out'. I'm okay with a little worry though, that's healthy. I just get mad when I let it consume me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhh lovin this post!
    Worriers we are! and for (semi) good reasons!
    I used to worry a LOT more with the dun that I do NOW. I used to worry that while riding with some of the students that he'd take off and cause some kind of catastrophic collision or run over coach. I never really had much worry for MY SELF, but always about the horse (and definitely other people.)
    How I got over it/HOw I am getting over it?
    Getting back in the saddle day after day and not giving up on myself or on my horse.
    I'm fairly used to being the "one who sticks out" at shows/the barn/anywhere that he acts up...lol...its hard not to notice a giant dun ball of bucking. But after a few times you just start to laugh it off.
    As long as you are confident and happy with the ol gator face its all that matters. You just have to keep trying to do the best YOU can do and therefore he will do the best HE can do.
    Also, I totally agree with the fine tooth comb method. The dun seems to notice when im "rushy" and it doesnt usually do me any favors.
    He's had his share of scrapes and bumps etc, but really, a horse is a horse. THey can hurt themselves(like you said) on anything at anytime. (even in a padded cell perhaps!) You just have to take everything in stride, and yeah it can be heart wrenching and frustrating when your little baby boy is down and out for a while, but then it also gives you the opportunity to build your bond even more(IMO).

    The worries will pass as you two grow closer together, soon you wont notice anybody anymore, because as GL said, you will be totally entranced with your ride and your horse. Its hard to get to that space, and I personally find it distracting to ride with a friend, becuase while chatting, you arent paying attention! (even though its nice.)

    (GL told me so.)

    Please write about that ride!!! And sorry for the long windednessss!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely - I will never, ever complain about anyone elses longwindedness... I have zero room to complain about that. :) I like it actually.

    Yeah, we were in that zone at his old place. I know it. I've just felt like a deer in the headlights sitting atop him with people mulling around, riding, doing lessons around me. hehehe I see myself all hunched over, eyes bugging out, looking around while he plods along like nothing is going on. :) hehehe

    I was afraid I'd get in the other riders way (never shared an arena but like once before). Stuff like that.

    I surely won't stop riding him and I know it will get better. I KNOW no one is actually paying me any attention 95% of the time anyways.

    As far as him getting hurt, I'm extremely prepared and I know it can happen anytime with or without my presence. I think I just feel like if I send him into bad footing... the 'big brain' of our pairing failed him. I'd hate to fail him. He deserves so much, ya' know? :)

    Writing about it helps and knowing I'm not the ONLY one. We'll keep chuggin' along... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we all worry , my list is somewhat the same as yours , but add hypervigilance checking everyone here 2x a day just in case , all I can tell you is its normal ,but don't let it ovewhelm you , just BREATH!

    ReplyDelete