Thursday, July 23, 2009

Here we go!

Upon telling my first trainer about my new horse recently, I was met with all the reasons I should start on the Arab show circuit. After all, my boy has a great show record and is plenty healthy to do it. She's always wanted me to show. I've never been that interested. I find it to be a better opportunity to do something different for him and something that truly interests me... trail/endurance. No, it's not as full of ribbons and shiny slick horses. Which is nice in it's own right but I find that there are just certain disciplines the horses just seem to enjoy their job - distance/trail riding is one of those. All that, suits me. I hate to disappoint her but we're at least trying my idea first. For the first time, ever, I get to make that choice and boy it feels good!

So, this weekend, we are going out. A nice lady whose mare and she have been out of endurance for over a year are getting back in. She was interested in a trail buddy the Old Dominion Endurance Ride Association put her in contact with me... and Wa-lah!

I'm nervous. Shocker, right? Since last time I chronicled some of my fears and it seemed to help me and going to spell out what's worrying me and my plan/s.

We're planning on doing 10 miles which sounds SO far to me but I know it's not that bad. She says he'll surprise me - and I have been very honest about his condition. My boy has been ridden a good bit in the past few months and had lots of turnout in the last 3 weeks so he's not totally out of shape. I WILL be hurting but okay, it's to be expected. We are not planning on going too fast - spurts of long trotting likely the highest gear. She's been asked questions in our conversations that lead me to believe she has his interest in mind. Such as what sort of saddle am I riding in (weight/ability to post) and am I sure it fits him well? I figure if he's looking/acting pretty spent, she won't be upset if we turn back before she'd planned. I of course will turn back either way, in that situation. So, I'm trying to settle into the idea of that distance and be okay with it. After all, that's the whole point right?

There are bridges on this trail. I looked. We've never crossed a bridge and I have no idea but am assuming he has never. I hope he doesn't care. Most likely he'll be a good sport. He isn't big on mud/standing water ... I wonder if there are any creek crossings. No idea how that will go. No, he doesn't get stupid but he surely expresses his displeasure with muddy/wet toes. I will carry my crop just in case but I doubt I'll need it.

He has lost some weight (needed) at his new barn. I have not had a chance to get a smaller girth... he needs a smaller girth now. I will either borrow a smaller leather one or do my best to get to that last hole this weekend. I'm ordering a new smaller girth today.

Electrolytes? I'll go get some. I don't have a saddle bag... I never thought I'd say it but I almost wish I had a fanny pack still for my owner water/treats! Hahaha. I need to take a bucket and maybe some extra stuff for him and hay for the ride.

I don't have shipping boots... but I was told he never got his legs wrapped for rides. Was that in a two horse bumper pull though? I might at least do something... he'll be with a mare he meets for the first time on the trailer and he's got shoes on all four. I'd rather wrap/boot him. Even if it's unnecessary.

I will take our first aid kit and his coggins. His shoes aren't due for several more weeks and they're still looking good - I will check them prior to loading him. Of course I'll be scouring him for ANYTHING prior to loading him that would suggest he isn't well.

I will try and do a couple miles tonight of mostly trotting and gauge how he does.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Even just traveling with him at all is new to me. He's a show horse so the trailering won't bother him (I hope she drives sanely!!!!) but I bet he'll be surprised to see woods instead of a show ground. I think he'll like it. I think I will too. It's our first 'test' though so we'll see. I WILL stay calm and relaxed and have fun. After all, that's the whole point, right?

This is where we're going: Beaverdam Park. Here is the trail guide/map.

I'm excited-nervous. Here we go...

9 comments:

  1. deeep breaths, AB;)
    yeah, me too..

    Oh, sounds like such FUN!! Gator will have a blast! Gator likes mares, right?
    If he's "used" to not being wrapped, hmmm, I might not wrap. Especially if the mare isn't wrapped. He'll be looking like a geek to the mare, upon their first meeting!
    :)
    Is it a long trailer ride to where you are going?
    He's been a show horse, so this will just thrill him to bits, I think. I've just known a couple horses that HATED wraps/boots. If they hate 'em, they remove them. Do more damage removing them, than if they hadn't been wrapped at all. Not saying that's Gator's schtick.
    But it does depend on him and you and your "oh, boy let's so look forward to this!" energy.

    Don't forget, horses travel faster than we do. Build slowly, but he can and does trot what, 5-10 miles an hour? Easy peasy.
    Lucky girl, I mean, lucky Gator!!
    Have a Wonderful time!
    Bridges will be no biggy when you have an experienced mare buddy. He would be embarrassed to be left behind by a mare:)

    Would you stop posting such exciting horse stuff?? How can I ever get ANY work done?

    Maybe you should bring Gator's cell-phone?
    ;)

    Oh, trail rides!!!
    whooo HOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh AB THAT IS AWESOME!!!
    GOOD FOR BOTH OF YOU!!!!
    *excited!*
    its so funny, I was talking with my barn buddy about something along the same lines. WE were talking about showing, and how she had originally just wanted her horse for trail riding. COach worked with her, and while her horse is an AMAZING trail horse, he is also sooo FIT (he is 19 this year) that he can go show anytime too.
    We discussed that while showing can be FUN, its more FUN for US people to just trailer out to go on a big hack(like at the conservation area). LIke how trail riding is generally more relaxing for BOTH horse and rider, as compared to a show. Of COURSE some horses just LOVE shows, but I know IM A HUGE stressball at shows, and would probaly pick a trail ride over a show anyday.
    Ten miles will go faster than you think!
    Even just WALKING him will be really good, he will loosen up and be soo limber.

    Bridge crossings are fun-we had always done them in trail and for some grace of god the dun is a saint walking over just about anything-so im sure like GL Said, he will be fine if the mare is fine. IF anything you can always dismount and lead him over :)

    Im sooo excited for you two!
    Im like, buzzing with excitement for the gatorface. I bet he will suprise you, after the first five minutes...you will be on cloud nine.
    I agree with GL, if hes not usually wrapped, dont worry about it. WHat some people from our barn do is just put on front splint boots. I know its not the same as a shipping boot, but it will still protect their legs.

    As for a saddle bag, hehe, remember fanny packs?
    They can be useful for this reason...:D

    SO EXCITED!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, I can lead him anywhere... Dismounting never crosses my mind for some reason. GLAD you said that.

    That's why I laughed about the fanny pack comment... OMG I never thought I'd be WANTING one ahahhahaha... it would work perfectly though!

    GL - He loves mares. I hope she's not too mareish - I do think she lives with a gelding. So it should be fine. I bet she has a pretty good divider else she would be concerned about this, right?

    He loves exploring, when I'm relaxed. He LOOKS in the woods for trails, always has. I think we'll be fine... but that whole worry wart that I am creeps in.

    OH and I think his trot is definitely closer to 7/9mph so I think once he's truly fit we'll RooooOOoooOOOollll down the trail.


    :) Thanks for the thoughts on the boots. He won't remove them... but I'll keep his bell boots and maybe slap on his boots just in case.

    I'm still hoping she drives sanely. I'm sure she does if she trailers out to trails a lot but you know... Fugly's post about trailering honestly has me freaked! I can't stop thinking about it and I wouldn't have thought of it much before!Aaaahhh! :)

    Excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant 7/8 mph... which is pretty swift... he's got a fast trot. It was hard to learn to ride but the faster he goes the smoother so... as long as he's feelin' good...

    Excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time - and take a phone! I'm with you, showing - I used to do a lot - doesn't really interest me much any more. Trainers seem to love shows - wonder why? ($$$) - not that that would be your trainer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have thought of most everything. TAke a phone , and remember to breath! Have fun and treat obstacles like they are nothing new.Ask like you already know the answer is YES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relax and enjoy- it isn't a test, no pass or fail. He will do fine and so will you-
    For snacks I suggest proteins- peanuts, beef jerky, slim jims, cheese sticks and a little candy for a quick pick me up. As much water as you can take.
    Small travel size baby wipes for wiping hands and unmentionable places, I throw a roll of doggie poop bags in my saddle bag so I leave nothing behind.
    TMI?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ncc - HAHAHAHA! NEVER thought of that... but it is a unavoidable thing that must be taken into account. I had NOT thought of that!

    Oh, I ALWAYS carry my phone! In a pocket/arm band, not on the horse and that's just around the farm where I could *maybe*, if able, yell loud enough to have someone find me. The horse grazing around me might be an indication as well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate - I have actually never shown. I might like it but learning about horses as I did... I just can't make one do something it's not enjoying or is actually hurting it. TRUE many horses like showing but usually certain disciplines more than others. I'm competetive so if I'd have started showing horses as a kid ... I'd probably be hooked and have learned winning is more important than the horse. Glad I didn't. So, endurance/competitive trail appeals to me cuz there's competition but the horses health(*usually*) is a first priority. I DO think they need a job and I need a goal so... it fits. I think. We'll see!

    My first instructor thought I was a prodigy of sorts and wanted me to show from the first day I threw a leg over. She cracks me up. I'm okay surely not as good as she gave me credit for. She just really enjoys it and thinks I would too. She's not a serious trainer and about the $$$ but I DO know what you mean. Definitely know those people...

    ReplyDelete