Friday, July 17, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Bears... not so much, actually.

Wednesday I had a good ride. We warmed up in the ring because he had a pretty swollen bite on his butt, just above his tail head. *sigh* Herd dynamics. It didn't affect his gaits or willingness so I said we were good. I'd gotten there late and didn't have a ton of day light. We went on a short trail ride, alone.

Now... I say Wednesday I had a good ride. Yesterday afternoons ride, was excellent then. However it was much based on the goodness that came from Wednesday.

Yesterday, the ring was occupied as for the occupants and the goings on I didn't feel comfortable sharing the ring. So, without testing for piss and vinegar I hopped on and headed down the trail at a trot.

Wednesday I realized he liked this, going down the trail at a trot and so did I. A lot. We couldn't trot or canter (in my opinion) safely at our last place. The manure was spread on the trails and there were a lot of horses and it piled sorta high and deep. I was terrified of him pulling a tendon, or at the least a shoe. He did once pull a shoe... This ride was the first time I'd really asked for much outside the ring besides a little in an empty field at the last place... not that I hadn't gotten more before a time or two without asking but this, this was fun.

He didn't have as much time to worry about things as they passed trotting by them. Sure, he'd arch his neck and turn to stare at the downed tree or rustle in the woods, but he maintained forward with no hesitation, no lurching. He does, absolutely, like to go. I also stayed more relaxed, after all I was posting and didn't have as much time to ponder if he was worried about something. I wasn't a bundle of raw nerves sitting up there thinking... will he explode? What about now? Does he seem nervous. No time to over analyze. Perfect.

Have I mentioned he's sensitive? Very, very in tune to me. Very. It was the closest to a trail ride with zero fear I'd ever accomplished, Wednesday. We really didn't go to far, sun was going down after all but I felt good and relaxed. He felt good and relaxed. I called it a day after a not so long ride.

What's better?

I'd say yesterday's ride surpassed it by 1000x. We went exploring, again, alone. Except with that new found knowledge that a little more go calmed us both down and the fact that if I keep my hips open and relaxed he really, truly is okay about being alone with me on the trail. Oh, sure he's lookin' but he's not being at all stupid. Just sort of taking it in, it is all new after all.

We trotted around the field, next to the woods and fence, cantered through the hay field - I really let him go a bit. That feels ... so free, out of the ring. His transitions up and down for all gaits were smooth the whole ride zero funny business. We stopped by the BO's house and said hi. We went to the edge of the property, had to pass through a narrow place we had to walk, take the time to consider it. It had a ditch with a broken concrete drainage pipe, trees on all sides and not much room even once we got through - fence on one side, scrubbiness on the other. He didn't like it. I didn't make a fuss, I DID NOT get scared. I let him turn around once, sent him back, without drama. We got a step farther, again he backed and turned, a little more worried but okay I turned him back again without fuss, NO fear... third time he snorted at it and walked past as if he knew I wouldn't insist if it wasn't okay. Scritches and praise were his. Shortly after, a cotton tail bunny flashed across the narrow path and rustled through the low lying brush - he stopped snorted and splayed his feet... and went on. We went back by the barn, circled another hay field and were done.

I was ecstatic and proud. I think he was more tired and hungry but that's okay.

I feel like we can go anywhere all of a sudden. I know he can handle it, if I can. I'm not sure if blogging, talking through some of my fears has helped, just sucking it up or what... but things are falling in to place. I don't expect him to spook and I'm expecting him to go where I point him. He's fulfilling those expectations because he trusts me. I've always trusted him. I just have to keep trusting myself...

Lions and tigers and bears? Please. Bring on. We can fly.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh AB!
    Thats awesome!
    You has yourself an awesome and noble steed!

    Doesnt it feel great? Dontcha feel proud of yourself? Im sure Gator is proud of you:):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost cried I was so happy when we were walking back to the barn... and then again driving home.

    Yeah... I knocked down a huge wall, mostly in my head, and it feels fantastic. I think he's appreciating it very much.

    I think I finally believe we actually CAN do the endurance thing for real... I think I always thought even if money or time didn't hold us back that I'd never be ready and once I was he'd be too old or something. Poof. I really believe that we could do it... :)

    *do-see-doeing around with GL *;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking on air much?? Good for you and Gator pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I was pretty happy about it. :)

    ReplyDelete